[NetBehaviour] Long Live the Web.

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sat Nov 20 18:56:47 CET 2010

It parallels development and enclaving in general; once a land parcel is
desecrated with McMansions, the eco-system and attendant species are gone
forever. You can see the change on the street in NY - more and more
fantastically expensive cars, more and more homeless. Mike Davis predicted
it all. Fox News is another example in an odd way; they dominate through
propaganda passing as news, and now that they're making substantial
inroads into Congress, net neutrality, which might be their last enemy, is
going to go under the knife again. And once net neutrality disappears
(don't forget that corporations are now 'freed' to give what they want,
without accountability, to political campaigns here), it won't return.

I keep thinking backing to Fidonet and BBS; these kinds of private
networks might become deeply relevant again.

Meanwhile Second Life is going through its own parallel convulsions, with
education discounts etc. disappear and rental going sky-high. Odyssey and
East of Odyssey - where I've worked for years - are close to disappearing.

- Alan