[NetBehaviour] requiems and 4d crumpled objects

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Nov 21 08:11:20 CET 2010

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, dave miller wrote:

> hi alan
>
> these are great - I especially like the crumpled objects, really
> interesting - 4space2.png is my favourite. How do you make these? Do
> you code them?

Just the equations; the program is called K3dSurf and you can download it
for Ubuntu linux. There was something similar, smaller and rougher, but
more sophisticated for the Sharp Zaurus, which was a linux pda, but more
of a computer (you could program on it for example, in a terminal window).
In the earlier one, you could program through any n-dimensions and take
slices. You might be able to in K3dS - I've just started working with it.

> Are some of these screen grabs from second life? In escaped5.png - I
> really like the tree trunks. I've never tried second life, but are you
> using it to make images/ stills?

They're not tree trunks - they're moving particles - everything is in
turmoil as if boiling. The images are from Second Life; I've been putting
up videos as well. An avatar can sit on any one of the 'objects' on the
ground - which then begins to move, jerkily, and permanently leaves the
installation.

Thanks for your comments! - Alan