[NetBehaviour] Long Live the Web.

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Nov 21 08:15:23 CET 2010

I'm not on the administrative end, but apparently the CEO left, came back,
then left again. Education and other discounts were eliminated and the
rental doubled. The prices of land parcels have fallen and a lot of
artists have moved to OpenSim (an open source version of SL). The rental
for the Odyssey island parcel is $295/monthly which is prohibitive.

I'm not sure what the overall fiscal plan of Linden Labs (who run SL) is
at the moment; I think Patrick Lichty might know.

All of this is coupled with the CEO (of a British telecom co. if I
remember correctly) suddenly withdrawing his support of Od and east of Od.
My feeling is that he's tired of Second Life, and hasn't liked the recent
work - 'branding' (not my term) - that's been on his parcels. It's always
been problematic. In any case, unless something new emerges on the
horizon, both he and the parcels are gone.

- Alan