[NetBehaviour] The first radiation porn star!

John Wild john.wild at network.rca.ac.uk
Tue Nov 23 23:21:58 CET 2010

In 2006 I created a number of artworks exploring how states view their
citizens in the post 9/11 climate. In ‘Terminal
4<http://www.rupture.co.uk/Terminal%204.html>’,
an A2 duratrans mounted on a light box, and ‘Self Portrait using Backscatter
Radiation <http://www.rupture.co.uk/Self_portrait.html>’, a 78”x 48” Digital
C-Type Print, I gained unique access to the images created by the
controversial Rapiscan Secure 1000 security
scanner<http://www.rapiscansystems.com/rapiscan-secure-1000.html>currently
in use at Heathrow and across America.

The Scanner creates security images of travellers through a process known as
backscatter radiation, an image is produced by firing a low level of
radiation at the traveller and analyzing the radiation that is bounced back.
Radiation penetrates below the clothing and is reflected from the skin (or
bones that are close to the surface) allowing a computer to generate an
image of the bodies’ surface.

Since 2006 I have been inundated with requests to use the Terminal 4 image,
particularly from campaigners against airport scanners in the USA and it has
become one of the main image of the NATIONAL OPT-OUT
DAY!<http://www.optoutday.com/>organised for Wednesday, November 24th
2010.

However the popularity of the image with campaign groups has led to my
images attracting a different audience.I have started receiving emails
asking whether I can supply more backscatter radiation images and a google
search brought up my image on the front cover of the dubious looking TSA
Scans Magazine <http://www.tsascansmag.com/>.

One email I received from a New York fetish club claims that my image is so
popular with their members that they would be prepared to pay a decent price
for more XXX-Radiation Porn! It seems that what started out as an esoteric
artwork created in 2006 may have inadvertently turned me into the first
radiation porn star!

--

////// johnwild.info //////