[NetBehaviour] funding opportunities

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 09:54:40 CET 2010

The AHRC is to be cut. But the drop in available funding will not be 50%.
Much of the cut will be in back-office activities. The AHRC recently moved
from Bristol to Swindon, where most of the other research councils are
based. The objective was to save money by integrating administration and
support across councils. In reality the move has cost far more than
expected. However, going forward such costs will be lower. Also, with
programmes being streamlined (cut, like the creative arts fellowship
programme), fewer project officers and administrators are required. I'm not
sure what the actual cut will be to funding streams but it will be
significantly less than 50%.

I am upset they cut the creative arts fellowship programme though. It was
hugely successful and, for independent artists, a great route into the rich
and diverse research cultures that exist in UK academia. For many it was the
only route. There are a number of really significant artists, in the digital
arts but across all disciplines, who found their way into rewarding roles at
various research labs and facilities. Some of them have sustained working
practices in these contexts well beyond the period of the grants (usually 3
years) and have become permanent staff. This route is now gone and nothing
has effectively replaced it. The strangest thing is that the AHRC has stated
that the reason they closed the programme is that it was so successful. That
begs the question whether they only sustain unsuccessful programmes.

I don't want to be critical of the AHRC. I work closely with them - indeed,
I'm on some of their committees. But sometimes they make the strangest
decisions. The most likely reason they would choose to cut the creative arts
fellowships programme is that certain academic interests (eg: the
humanities, as opposed to the creative arts) considered the programme too
generous to unconventional researchers (eg: non-academics). As somebody who
did not go through the academy but has, later in life, found benefit through
it, I think this represents a narrow and conservative conception of what
research and pedagogy is for and what it can do.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs
s.biggs at eca.ac.uk  simon at littlepig.org.uk
Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Research Professor  edinburgh college of art
http://www.eca.ac.uk/
Creative Interdisciplinary Research in CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/
Centre for Film, Performance and Media Arts
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/film-performance-media-arts