[NetBehaviour] The internet's cyber radicals: heroes of the web changing the world.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Nov 30 12:45:04 CET 2010

The internet's cyber radicals: heroes of the web changing the world.

A generation of political activists have been transformed by new tools
developed on the internet. Here, a leading net commentator profiles
seven young radicals from around the world.

By Aleks Krotoski.

..."In particular, there has been an explosion of technologies to
circumvent censorship in countries where panic-stricken regimes have
tried to stem dissident information. For example, Walid al-Saqaf
developed an encryption technology called alkasir when the Yemeni
government closed down his news aggregation site, YemenPortal.net. As
the son of a campaigning journalist who died in mysterious
circumstances, al-Saqaf felt that it was important that he use both his
journalism and IT skills to get around the blockade, "because I felt it
would have been a betrayal to my own profession to simply manipulate
what people see".

"Information freedom is essential if you're really going to live a
dignified life," he argues.

more...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/nov/28/internet-radicals-world-wide-web