[NetBehaviour] Cariou vs. Prince: THE COPYRIGHT BUNGLE

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Apr 1 20:38:56 CEST 2011

On 04/01/2011 07:21 PM, brian gibson wrote:

> money seems the issue. and a call for respect.
> regardless of how much a piece is altered

The"original" is a pastiche of documentary styles produced without
compensating its models.

If documentary photography had the same standards applied to it that we
are being asked to apply to art, it would be declared illegal and immoral.

> it's existence is impossible without the original.

This is true of all representational art, however transformative.

> to profit off the back of another artist is disgusting.

That means that schools, genres, and media are "disgusting".

> fight for rights, but forget not morals.
 >
> and either way
>
> no law will "stop" a real artist from creating whatever she/he wants.

But this law can suppress anything you create if it fails an arbitrary
test of originality.

- Rob.