[NetBehaviour] Experimental Arts: Call for Papers and Conference.

info info at furtherfield.org
Tue Apr 5 11:19:44 CEST 2011

Date: Deadline for Abstracts: 27 April 2011
Venue: Scientia Building, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia

Website: www.niea.unsw.edu.au

`We have entered the experimental age…Experiments are no longer
conducted just in the laboratory. They have become collective
experiments that concern each and every one of us.` Bruno Latour, 2004

What is experimentation? What makes art `experimental`? What are the
results of aesthetic experiments and why do we need them? Could artists
invent new modes of experimentation with/for science? What are the
differences between experiments and inventions; experiments and
failures; experiment and innovation? How do we set up
ethico-scientific-aesthetic experiments?

This conference will showcase and discuss innovative arts projects by
leading practitioners, thinkers and research groups that model new forms
of transdisciplinarity and offer new ways of addressing real-world
issues. These include works that have successfully `changed the world`
as well as speculative initiatives that radically change the way we
think. It will survey the results and potential of Experimental Arts,
inviting leaders in the field to discuss how we can extend and support a
platform for path-breaking experimentation.

The main conference will be preceded by a two-day National Postgraduate
Conference on Experimental Arts.

Confirmed speakers include:

James Crutchfield (Complexity Sciences Center, UC Davis), David Dunn
(Art and Science Laboratory, Santa Fe); Adrian McKenzie (University of
Lancaster); Geert Lovink (University of Amsterdam); Pia Ednie- Brown
(RMIT); Joyce Hinterding (University of Sydney), Terry Smith (University
of Pittsburgh); Richard Goodwin, Paul Thomas, Douglas Kahn, Anna
Munster, Nigel Helyer, Jill Bennett (NIEA, UNSW); iCinema, Centre for
Interactive Cinema, UNSW with on-site demonstrations of iCinema`s
immersive audio-visual environment.

Call for Papers

Abstracts of approximately 300 words and a short biography should be
sent to: niea at unsw.edu.au for the Main Conference t.gregory at unsw.edu.au
for the Postgraduate Conference. In the email subject title, please
state: Abstract Submission (Main Conference) or Abstract Submission
(Postgraduate Conference).

Poster-presentations will also be considered for the Postgraduate
Conference. Abstracts of approximately 300 words and a short biography
should be sent to t.gregory at unsw.edu.au with the email title Abstract
Submission (Poster Presentation)