[NetBehaviour] "Open Source Culture"

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Apr 5 18:00:58 CEST 2011

On 04/04/11 20:19, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:

> But what I was more thinking of is in the case where people have a
> fairly good understanding of Free Culture, would you say it is possible,
> desirable, or even a necessity, to make a distinction between the
> technical and legal infrastructure that allow Free Culture, its usage
> and what is produced? And why?

We can certainly identify legal tools, their community of users, and
their artistic products by the same name. But they are all there to
support the objective of free-as-in-free-speech (or -expression)
culture. It's useful to be able to tell them apart so that when people
start talking about inhuman concepts like commons, gifts, reputations
and anything else that looks like people's freedom of speech should be
curtailed to support Free Culture, we can explain why this is
counter-productive.

What is produced ("free cultural works" differentiates them better than
"free culture", although it's an unappealing phrase) has an interesting
art theoretical status. It's art that we are identifying because of a
non-aesthetic property, but that non-aesthetic property is one that
enables aesthetics:

http://robmyers.org/weblog/2007/06/21/why-should-the-licence-of-an-artwork-be-interesting/

I made the licence an aesthetic property of the work with "CC Ironies" -

http://robmyers.org/art/cc_ironies/index.html

and with the free readymades -

http://robmyers.org/art/urinal/

- Rob.