[NetBehaviour] Critical Code Studies

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sun Apr 10 14:02:37 CEST 2011

I don't know about that group but you might like Dave Berry's new book,
Which I will be reviewing for Furtherfield soonish -

The Philosophy of Software
Code and Mediation in the Digital Age
David M. Berry

http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?pid=395958

"The Philosophy of Software is a critical introduction to the subject of
code and software, and develops an understanding of its social and
philosophical implications in the digital age. The book has been written
specifically for people interested in the subject from a non-technical
background and provides a lively and interesting analysis of these new
media forms. Software is a tangle, a knot, which ties together the
physical and the ephemeral, the material and the ethereal, into a
complete system that can be controlled and directed. However, software
exceeds our ability to place limits on its entanglement, for it has in
the past decade entered the everyday home through electronic
augmentation that has replaced the mechanical world of the twentieth
century. From washing machines to central heating systems, children's
toys to television and video; the old electro-magnetic and
servo-mechanical world is being revolutionised by the silent logic of
virtual devices. It is time, therefore, to examine our virtual situation."