[NetBehaviour] Newly Obtained Homeland Security Documents Reveal Radical Shift In Internet Policy.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Apr 11 10:16:09 CEST 2011

Lots of coverage of our efforts this week. THE HILL: Groups slam online
piracy efforts; TECHDIRT: People Across Political Spectrum Come Out
Against COICA Censorship Bill; CONGRESSIONAL QUARTERLY: Online piracy
bipartisan domain; POLITICO: Groups blast Leahy piracy bill.

Brian McCarthy ran a website, channelsurfing.net, that linked to various
sites where you could watch online streams of TV shows and sports
networks. A couple months ago, the government seized his domain name and
on Friday they arrested him and charged him with criminal copyright
infringement -- punishable by five years in prison.

We just obtained a copy of the complaint (below) that the Department of
Homeland Security (DHS) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
made against him -- and they don't even allege that he made a copy of
anything!   Just that he ran what they call a "linking website" which
linked to various sites with copyrighted material. Under that sort of
thinking, everyone who's sent around a link to a copyrighted YouTube
video is a criminal.

more...
http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/dhscomplaint/?referring_akid=.423296.Gm2XIo