[NetBehaviour] Impressions from a Country Without Copyright

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Mon Apr 11 11:20:54 CEST 2011

In 2005 I visited MANIK in Belgrade, had a show there, and gave a talk.
After the talk someone offered me a copy of a piece of commercial
software to run their art using. When I asked them about the licencing
they just laughed and said "This is Serbia, copyright doesn't apply here".

I'd been talking about, amongst other things, Creative Commons.

I thought at the time that the international community would ensure that
copyright applies at *some* point, and that it's better to be prepared.
But I recognized that this wasn't going to be a persuasive argument for
everyone.

So I found this interesting:

http://falkvinge.net/2011/04/11/impressions-from-a-country-without-copyright/

"Impressions from a Country Without Copyright

I just left Share Conference in Belgrade, Serbia. The conference was top
notch — 80 speakers, 50 bands, three days, three nights. Very laid back
with cushions everywhere in the lobbies, people were lounging about and
just having a good time.
[...]
The result was that it was seen as a step backwards to start using
Creative Commons in Serbia. It was perceived as unnecessarily
restrictive and, well, unnecessary. Later, the copyright industry have
been aggressive in Serbia just like everybody else, but they have a
serious uphill battle for hearts and minds."

- Rob.