[NetBehaviour] Current, An Experiment in Collecting Digital Art; Downloadable work.

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Tue Apr 12 12:12:05 CEST 2011

I'd need to see the code to see why there is an issue. 99% of Lingo is
x-platform (Win/Mac) and has been since at least D4. The 1% is due to OS
specific issues, such as referencing external files, ports, sockets and
such-like. Director's popularity was driven by its x-platform capability and
it wasn't until virtual machine languages became commonplace (eg: Java,
Python, etc) that Director lost market share.

As for converting Lingo projects to open source options, that is tough. If
the project is small and doesn't use too many Lingo only functions then it
can be ported to Java relatively easily. However, any complex project would
be a nightmare and if the project depends on Director only formats then you
would also need to re-author all your assets.

Best

Simon