[NetBehaviour] depression about work

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 00:49:17 CEST 2011

On 28 April 2011 16:30, Alan Sondheim <sondheim at panix.com> wrote:

> write a book about this. about your experience; you're being torn apart.
> you write amazingly well. i'm serious. alan

writing a book doesn't really appeal. for a start i don't know how.
and then i don't think there's enough material. most days are average.
it's not every day i dread going to work. normally i just get on with
it. listening to music at work helps. i don't think i'm being torn
apart, at least not by any external factors. i might tear myself
apart, but sometimes i think it's just for entertainment, just for
something to be happening. i tore myself apart today at work. i didn't
have music to listen to. yesterday someone was caught smoking outside
of their break time, during production time. an email was circulated
and printed out. the person from the previous shift i took over the
machine of said the person caught had 'spoiled it for the rest of us'.
i told him it was management who spoiled things for us. but thought
the spoiling probably starts higher than that. near 9pm i was cheered
thinking about the royal wedding tomorrow. sure i don't really care,
but, hell, i'm going to celebrate it even if only celebrating the
extra time away from work. Making this week a three day working week,
giving the second four day weekend. i pretend to be dumb, i pretend to
work slow. i pretend to shutdown everything unnecessary to perform the
job. movements are laboured, i imagine i'm hard work to watch. i want
to be hard work to watch. i pretend to zone out. pretend to dream.
pretend to be depressed. pretend to not care. movements lack
exactitude. slack motion. optimized for least effort. minimum wage
minimum effort. once management have left somewhere around 6pm and
i've had my break, i am more relaxed. i speed up again. only to walk
away from the machine and let the buckets pile up. grab a coffee. then
work fast to catch up again. walk off to go to toilet. work fast to
catch up again. sit down watch the buckets pile up. work fast to catch
up again. i'm fed up of this. the same thing, over and over and over
and over and over and over and over. plastic things i pulled out the
machine yesterday, one every minute or so, sell for £16.99. i don't
know exactly how many i made yesterday. Say 300. That's £5000 sale
price. What a con.