[NetBehaviour] Insoluble Cases

Bjørn Magnhildøen noemata at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 16:44:22 CEST 2011

Excellent text,
dystopic, futuristic, entropic, apocalyptic.

I was reading 'a brief history of time' recently, for the nth time,
this time the singularities struck me with almost religious bearing
(scientific concepts are often much 'wilder' than religious ones), as
a 'nothing exists fundamentally' - the world, physical laws, not to
talk about cultural habits. The amazing thing remains that we, sort
of, are able to understand this and our situation, at some cognitive
level. And the tragedy/comedy/travesty of it, that we are forced, or
-only able to-, live with ourselves and the world as whole bodies of
experience (where 'understanding' is only a small part, alongside
paying the rent, etc). But this understanding makes us free, as it
views our bodies, or the body of the world, as inherently contingent
and without a firm basis. But do we understand this freedom? Can we
get our bodies to understand/experience this freedom? Maybe this is an
insoluble case. In a philosophical sense, maybe it's also about
whether we have some faculty of understanding that embraces/integrates
experiences from top to bottom (head/body, abstract/concrete,
subject/object) as a whole. Or maybe Sheffer's stroke means that we
don't (not (A and B)). Or again, maybe this negative -is- the whole.
Maybe art can be a thing like that, as insoluble cases, singularities,
based on the freedom of understanding that 'nothing exists
fundamentally' and that whatever exists now will eventually and
entropically turn to dust. (One could think that if there is a
singularity also in the end of the world then entropy might decrease -
things would reassemble from dust - but it seems entropy increases
even if the universe should contract to a singularity). If there was
something art could put its hands on, after being emptied itself, of
form and content, it could be something like holding and researching
this freedom or void that is itself, the world, and its understanding
of both.