[NetBehaviour] fyi Postcard Protest
c.a.b.daly at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 05:09:55 CEST 2011
Open to all struggling US self-identified professional visual artists.*
Mat Gleason posted: "I want to curate a show of artists with 50 grand or
more of student loan debt that they are behind in paying. Oh wait, there is
not a gallery big enough for this exhibit...." That got a lot of us talking,
and got me thinking... I ran my idea past Mat, broadened the scope; this
project is the result.
1) Make a postcard
The aim is to make a powerful, unified, statement; to that end:
• Don't deviate from any of the guidelines please, consistency is key.
• Use a standard postcard size: 4x6" or 5x7".
• Keep it flat, it's a postcard.
• Don't be hostile, we want them to listen.
• Make it good, we're saying art is worth supporting, show it.
2) Write: *
• "Artists and the Economy"
• A statement or two related to your finances (suggestions below)
• "Please donate to the Smithsonian American Art Museum."
* A lot of people have asked to broaden this even further, comprehensively
in fact. Support is lovely, so, yes, absolutely - BUT - in order to keep the
message clear, please write:
• "Support Artists and the Economy"
• A statement clearly defining your relation to struggling artists:
- what art means to you as a viewer
- the fact that you are another (non-visual) type of artist, etc...
- the fact that you are a RARE example of a thriving artist
• Use your judgment- does your work belong in the Smithsonian?
3) Address it to:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
4) Take a photo of the front and post it to this page.
5) Drop it in a mailbox for POSTMARK: Friday, 2 SEPTEMBER 2011.
(Prior completely my fault- forgot PO is closed Labor Day. Thanks!)
THOUGHT POINTS / SUPPORTING QUOTES
• Your degree, your school, your student loan debt
• Your day job(s)
• Self-supporting or being supported?
• "Artists are generally more educated than the workforce as a whole." NEA
• "Artists generally earn less than workers with similar levels of
• "Artists are 3.5 times more likely than other workers to be
• "About 60 percent of artists and related workers are self-employed." BLS
• "Only the most successful fine artists are able to support themselves
solely through the sale of their works." BLS
• "Most fine artists have at least one other job to support their art
• "[A]rtists advance professionally as their work circulates and as they
establish a reputation for a particular style." BLS
• "[T]he demand for artwork is dependent on consumers having disposable
• "Nationally, the nonprofit arts and culture industry generates $166.2
billion in economic activity every year" Americans for the Arts
• "To remain competitive in the global economy, America needs to
reinvigorate the kind of creativity and innovation that has made this
country great." Barack Obama
• "[A]rts education is the most important known factor in influencing arts
participation trends." NEA
• "If [the decline of childhood arts education] continue[s], the health of
the arts ecosystem will be in jeopardy." NEA
• "Ensure Tax Fairness for Artists: Barack Obama supports the Artist-Museum
Partnership Act [amending the Code regarding charitable contributions]...."
• "American artists, performers and thinkers - representing our values and
ideals - can inspire people both at home and all over the world." Barack
Reply to sender <utilisago at yahoo.com?subject=Re%3A%20Postcard%20Protest> |
Reply to group<LA_ArtGirls at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Postcard%20Protest>|
via web post<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LA_ArtGirls/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNmFiMXBjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5MzY3ODkzBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAxNTQ5MwRtc2dJZAM1NzYzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTMxMzAzMTc3NA--?act=reply&messageNum=5763>|
a New Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LA_ArtGirls/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbWF2dWV0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5MzY3ODkzBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAxNTQ5MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMTMwMzE3NzQ->
Messages in this
Visit Your Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LA_ArtGirls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmb3Fhb3FuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5MzY3ODkzBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAxNTQ5MwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzMTMwMzE3NzQ->
Switch to: Text-Only<LA_ArtGirls-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
Daily Digest<LA_ArtGirls-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>•
Unsubscribe <LA_ArtGirls-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the NetBehaviour