[NetBehaviour] Artist Injects Herself With Horse Blood, Wears Hooves

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Aug 11 19:47:38 CEST 2011

For a second forgetting D/G, it seems to me that if it were shamanic, it
would in fact be a form of becoming-animal; I've read a fair amount into
Inuit and Native American shamanism at times, and this is paramount. But
the artist is working within the art-world, and the real content of the
piece it seems to me is one of risk - a foreign blood presenced within
what we assume is a natural order of fluidity. What I miss btw in Stelarc
is precisely the shamanic, the becoming - it's attachments, no matter how
organic, and while he puts his body at risk (as does the artist here), the
mind is busy with the theorization of prosthesis. In this way, it's kind
of a 19th-century approach: to become-X means to combine (human, X) in a
formal manner...

Anyway, when one speaks of 'rigor,' I do think of the long and endless
philosophical discourse on scientific experimentation; I tend not to think
of exempla. But that's probably just me.

- was going to make a pun about hoarse blood, too much speaking and
theorizing... but thought better of it .. but then . -

- alan

==
webpage http://www.alansondheim.org
music archive: http://www.espdisk.com/alansondheim/