[NetBehaviour] what is a name on Google+

list|marianne list at criticalm.org
Thu Aug 11 21:22:39 CEST 2011

They probably are following you. And, if not ­ probably will as soon as they
have your ³real² name.

Bye bye Google, indeed.

(hope all is otherwise good with you and Oriana!)

All best
Marianne

From: "xDxD.vs.xDxD" <xdxd.vs.xdxd at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:53:34 +0200
To: NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
<netbehaviour at netbehaviour.org>
Subject: [NetBehaviour] what is a name on Google+

http://www.artisopensource.net/screenshotGPLUS.png

Today i connected to Google+ and this attached image appeared.

Here is the english translation of the text:

> It looks as if the name you used does not conform to our Rules on names.
>
> According to these rules, you need to use for your profile the same name you
> use in your real life. Possible nicknames, last names from when you were not
> married and so on are to be inserted in the Other Names section of your
> profile. For now only profiles associated to single individuals are permitted:
> profiles of companies and other entities will be introduced by the end of the
> year.
>
> You profile will be suspended until you change your name to adapt it to the
>  Rules on Names: you will not be able to use all the functions of Google's
> services which require an active profile, such as Google+, Buzz, Reader and
> Picasa. You will be able to use other Google services, like GMail.
>
> We know that Google+ and its Rules on Names can create difficulties for some
> users. We hope that you will want to keep being one of us; if you feel like
> leaving, make sure to copy your information first, and then click here to
> leave Google+.

And, below, a big blue button with "Change your Name" written across it.

There are a few things which I find truly horrifying in this message,
starting from the first sentence

> "It looks as if the name you used does not conform to our Rules on names."

the idea of rules decided by someone on "what i can call myself", is truly
horrible, and brings forth terrifying scenarios.

And then:

> According to these rules, you need to use for your profile the same name you
> use in your real life.

What? this is not "real life"? And what is "real life"? An office? A line at
the post office? A policeman asking for your documents? And what if I live,
work and study using this "Other Name"?

And, by the way, how do you know what my "real name" is? Are you following
me? Did you install cameras in my house? Did you talk to my friends about
it? And what if I used a fantastic "John Smith" instead of "xDxD.vs.xDxD",
would it be better, because it is a "regular" name? with a first and last
name? like a proper, working, professional human being?

> You profile will be suspended until you change your name to adapt it to the
>  Rules on Names

well: byebye Google+

xDxD.vs.xDxD