[NetBehaviour] Vote for our SXSWi panel: 'Naked in the Infosphere: Post-privacy & German Angst'

info info at furtherfield.org
Tue Aug 16 20:11:03 CEST 2011

'Naked in the Infosphere: Post-privacy & German Angst'

Speakers: Johannes Grenzfurthner (monochrom), Jens Ohlig (CCC)

We need a radical rethinking of how we discuss privacy. As our lives are
exposed on Google, Facebook and Twitter, the dissolution of privacy
shatters personal and social securities. This loss of control can be
embraced and molded into productive, emancipating "post-private
technologies of the self" (Ganz), making all of us happier.

Post-privacy as a social theory hits a raw nerve in Germany because of
its totalitarian past. Jeff Jarvis observed when Google Streetview
created an outrage in the German media: "Germans love going naked to
mixed saunas and letting complete strangers take an intimate look, but
when it comes to the Internet, the buck stops there."

Is surrendering to "full-frontal data nudity" a sign of de-solidarity
and apolitical behavior? Is post-privacy only an option for the
privileged? Is privacy a necessary means of self-defense against certain
powers? Join the debate! (clothing optional)

Vote for the panel! HERE!
http://bit.ly/pKrrqH