[NetBehaviour] Turkle tops TED: 'Naked in the Infosphere: Post-privacy & German Angst'

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 12:25:13 CEST 2011

Thanks Ruth! I translated Turkles book "Life On the Screen" and it was
briliant, how she described how the kids and the young deveoped a new
culture of communication and multitasking.
Ana

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM, ruth catlow
<ruth.catlow at furtherfield.org>wrote:

> TED can make me a bit grumpy sometimes but this from Sherry Turkle
> offers a different perspective to the debates around public/private in
> social media.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtLVCpZIiNs
>
> She discusses how social media can effect our capacity for intimacy.
>
> By only showing and performing the smoothest, lightest and most socially
> acceptable parts of ourselves within FB and Tw..r and reducing the
> opportunities for sharing vulnerabilities and tricky exposing
> conversations, she suggests, we become profoundly lonely.
>
> Of course, this is why we persist with messy and joyous and dark forms
> like the email list and pervasive art chaos
>
> warm fuzz
> : )
>
> On 16/08/2011 19:11, info wrote:
> > 'Naked in the Infosphere: Post-privacy&  German Angst'
> >
> > Speakers: Johannes Grenzfurthner (monochrom), Jens Ohlig (CCC)
> >
> > We need a radical rethinking of how we discuss privacy. As our lives are
> > exposed on Google, Facebook and Twitter, the dissolution of privacy
> > shatters personal and social securities. This loss of control can be
> > embraced and molded into productive, emancipating "post-private
> > technologies of the self" (Ganz), making all of us happier.
> >
> > Post-privacy as a social theory hits a raw nerve in Germany because of
> > its totalitarian past. Jeff Jarvis observed when Google Streetview
> > created an outrage in the German media: "Germans love going naked to
> > mixed saunas and letting complete strangers take an intimate look, but
> > when it comes to the Internet, the buck stops there."
> >
> > Is surrendering to "full-frontal data nudity" a sign of de-solidarity
> > and apolitical behavior? Is post-privacy only an option for the
> > privileged? Is privacy a necessary means of self-defense against certain
> > powers? Join the debate! (clothing optional)
> >
> > Vote for the panel! HERE!
> > http://bit.ly/pKrrqH

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci