[NetBehaviour] Artists and the Economy - Postcard protest to the White House.

info info at furtherfield.org
Wed Aug 17 14:01:11 CEST 2011

Artists and the Economy - Postcard protest to the White House.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=149406448475721

Mat Gleason posted: "I want to curate a show of artists with 50 grand or
more of student loan debt that they are behind in paying. Oh wait, there
is not a gallery big enough for this exhibit...." That got a lot of us
talking, and got me thinking... I ran my idea past Mat, broadened the
scope; this project is the result.

1) Make a postcard

The aim is to make a powerful, unified, statement; to that end:
• Don't deviate from any of the guidelines please, consistency is key.
• Use a standard postcard size: 4x6" or 5x7".
• Keep it flat, it's a postcard.
• Don't be hostile, we want them to listen.
• Make it good, we're saying art is worth supporting, show it.

2) Write: *

• "Artists and the Economy"
• A statement or two related to your finances (suggestions below)
• "Please donate to the Smithsonian American Art Museum."

* A lot of people have asked to broaden this even further,
comprehensively in fact. Support is lovely, so, yes, absolutely - BUT -
in order to keep the message clear, please write:
• "Support Artists and the Economy"
• A statement clearly defining your relation to struggling artists:
- what art means to you as a viewer
- the fact that you are another (non-visual) type of artist, etc...
- the fact that you are a RARE example of a thriving artist
• Use your judgment- does your work belong in the Smithsonian?

3) Address it to:

President Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

4) Take a photo of the front and post it to this page.

5) Drop it in a mailbox for POSTMARK: 2 SEPTEMBER 2011.
(The Friday before Labor Day.)

Simple. The impact it has, depends on you.
Let's make a statement, artists.

Best~ CJ Nye

THOUGHT POINTS / SUPPORTING QUOTES

• Your degree, your school, your student loan debt
• Your day job(s)
• Self-supporting or being supported?
• "Artists are generally more educated than the workforce as a whole." NEA
• "Artists generally earn less than workers with similar levels of
education." NEA
• "Artists are 3.5 times more likely than other workers to be
self-employed." NEA
• "About 60 percent of artists and related workers are self-employed." BLS
• "Only the most successful fine artists are able to support themselves
solely through the sale of their works." BLS
• "Most fine artists have at least one other job to support their art
careers." BLS
• "[A]rtists advance professionally as their work circulates and as they
establish a reputation for a particular style." BLS
• "[T]he demand for artwork is dependent on consumers having disposable
income...." BLS
• "Nationally, the nonprofit arts and culture industry generates $166.2
billion in economic activity every year" Americans for the Arts
• "To remain competitive in the global economy, America needs to
reinvigorate the kind of creativity and innovation that has made this
country great." Barack Obama
• "[A]rts education is the most important known factor in influencing
arts participation trends." NEA
• "If [the decline of childhood arts education] continue[s], the health
of the arts ecosystem will be in jeopardy." NEA
• "Ensure Tax Fairness for Artists: Barack Obama supports the
Artist-Museum Partnership Act [amending the Code regarding charitable
contributions]...." Barack Obama
• "American artists, performers and thinkers - representing our values
and ideals - can inspire people both at home and all over the world."
Barack Obama