[NetBehaviour] Bioart and Textiles Workshop.

info info at furtherfield.org
Wed Aug 17 14:11:50 CEST 2011

Bioart and Textiles Workshop.

24 August · 10:00 - 16:00

R-Space Gallery @ The Linen Rooms
32 Castle Street, Lisburn, Northern Ireland.

The Institute of Unnecessary Research.

Bioart and Textiles: Unnecessary Research and Collaborative Practice in
Art and Science

Target Audience: Artists, Scientists, Students and others interested in
pushing boundaries in art and science.

On this one-day practical and theoretical workshop you will work with
artist Anna Dumitriu to gain an understanding of her practice and
methods in combining textile art and microbiology as seen in her "Normal
Flora" exhibition at R-Space Gallery in Lisburn and her new work "The
Art and Science of Linen". You will learn to stain fabrics with bacteria
and moulds and embroider with antibiotic thread (natural and synthetic)
to create areas of 'resist' and to work safely with the medium.

The workshop will also include an exhibition tour at R-Space, a tour of
inspirational exhibits at The Linen Centre and Lisburn Museum, an
overview of key bioartists working in the field, an in depth
consideration of how to best develop to collaborative projects in art
and science, and a discussion about her 'unnecessary research' methods.
As Einstein once said: "If we knew what it was we were doing it would
not be called research, would it?"

This workshop is FREE but must be booked in advance through
Reception at the Irish Linen Centre and Lisburn Museum. Tel: (028)
92663377 or E-mail: ilc.reception at lisburn.gov.uk.