[NetBehaviour] An invitation to make-shift - online, Saturday 20th August

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Fri Aug 19 01:50:24 CEST 2011

Dear Friends,

We are performing 'make-shift' again and we would love you to join us
for the online event at 10am (UK time), Saturday 20th August.

'make-shift' is programmed as part of Magdalena - Legacy and Challenge
<http://www.chapter.org/23438.html> Festival at Chapter, Cardiff, UK so
both Helen and Paula will be in houses in Cardiff (only streets away
from each other... actually we could probably shout to each other
instead...)

To access the performance go to www.make-shift.net and follow the LIVE
LINK in the top right hand corner of the home page. Please get there a
few minutes early to make sure that  everything loads ok.

There is more information about the work below and we look forward to
you joining us on Saturday.

Best wishes
Paula and Helen

/
"When I was growing up and something important got sucked up the hoover,
my mum could be persuaded to get a piece of newspaper, unfold it on the
floor and empty the cloth bag to try and find the missing thing. I don't
do that. Barbie shoes, fuzzy felt animals, bits of lego that are really
important parts of a helicopter, multi-coloured beads from broken
bracelets. I don't care. Up into the hoover it goes and away with it. To
somewhere else. Outside my home. To where I can't see it anymore."/

??make-shift is a unique and intimate networked performance that speaks
about the fragile connectivity of human and ecological relationships.
Devised by Paula Crutchlow (Devon based performer and director) and
Helen Varley Jamieson (NZ writer and cyberformer) the performance takes
place simultaneously in two separate houses that are connected through a
specially designed online interface. Paula and Helen (one in each house)
stage their part of the work with the help of a group of around 15 local
audience members. Scripted and visually poetic performance is
interspersed with webcam videography, avatar puppetry and audience
interaction in the format of a performative salon. Everything that
happens in the houses is streamed to online audiences who can also
contribute text chat visible on the interface to everyone throughout the
event.

make-shift is an ecologically aware house party with a difference. As
well as experiencing the intimacy, viscerality and shared experience of
a live performance event; local and online audiences participate in a
call-and-response between people, landscape and culture to discuss the
theme of 'disposability' in its broadest sense.

On 18th September at ISEA in Istanbul, we will giving a presentation on
make-shift as part of the Furtherfield panel -- "Media Art Ecologies --
is digital culture a contributor to climate change?"

/"Helen and Paula arranged the magical elements of telematic performance
for the make-shift event at HTTP Gallery in a montage of stuff, poetry,
sound, images, dialogue, polemic and actions. It was utterly engrossing
and left us all with a thrilling sense of the unexplored potential of
theatre and performance in the networked age." /Ruth Catlow, HTTP Gallery.

--
BLIND DITCH     performance. installation. intervention. participation
e:paula at blindditch.org    t: +44 (0) 7881 862714

Blind Ditch is a Company Limited by Guarantee
Registered in England   No 06701599
Registered Office  - 2 Barnfield Crescent, Exeter, EX11QT

This email and associated attachments are sent in confidence for the addressee(s) only. Unauthorised use, dissemination, distribution, publication or copying of this communication without permission is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify us immediately and delete any copies. Blind Ditch cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from any use of this e-mail or attachments. Any views expressed may not necessarily be the views of the company.