[NetBehaviour] CALL for TECHNO-ECOLOGIES Exhibition and Conference proposals

info info at furtherfield.org
Fri Aug 19 18:02:07 CEST 2011

CALL for TECHNO-ECOLOGIES Exhibition and Conference proposals

TECHNO-ECOLOGIES
Inhabiting the deep technological spheres of everyday life

Techno-Ecologies is the theme of this year's Art+Communication festival,
the 13th edition of which will take place in Riga from November 3 – 6,
2011, featuring conference (November 4–5) and exhibition (November
4–December 11) as well as broad programme of performances, screenings,
public lectures and workshops in Riga and Liepaja, Latvia.

* Conceptual framework

Everyday life has become so intimately interwoven with complex
technological ecologies that we can no longer consider technology as the
alienating other. A careful consideration of the relationships between
the natural and the artificial is required. The idea that we 'inhabit'
technological ecologies emphasises our connectedness to our environment
(material, natural, technological) and our dependence on the resources
available there (material, energetic, biological, cultural). Mastering
these conditions is vital to our survival on this planet.

Techno-Ecologies builds upon the concerns of Felix Guattari (the French
philosopher and co-conspirator of Gilles Deleuze) about the lack of an
integrated perspective on the dramatic techno-scientific transformations
the Earth has undergone in recent times. Guattari urges to take three
crucially important 'ecological registers' into account: the
environment, social relations, and human subjectivity.

Techno-Ecologies will develop a discussion between artists, theorists,
designers, environmental scientists, technologists, responsible
entrepreneurs and activists to develop this perspective. Diversity,
social and ecological sustainability, and a much deeper understanding of
technology as an extension of our desires are the building blocks that
we want to bring together to build a perspective that can help us chart
less hazardous routes into the future than the ones currently travelled.

-----> The Techno-Ecologies concept for Art+Communication 2011 festival
and exhibition is developed by Eric Kluitenberg.
See full concept text at the festival website: http://rixc.lv/11

* Exhibition CALL:

Artists who think that their work fits Techno-Ecologies theme (above)
should send a brief description of the work plus short biography (and
other relevant information) to e-mail:
<rixc (at) rixc.lv> and / or <rasa (at) rixc.lv> (Rasa Smite)

The DEADLINE for exhibition proposals: September 15, 2011

The exhibition will take place in Riga, from November 4 – December 11,
2011 in KIM? / RIXC Gallery, Contemporary Arts Center venue at Spikeri
(http://www.kim.lv).

* Conference CALL:

In relation to the theme proposed above, for the Techno-Ecologies
conference we welcome proposals by by both – academic researchers and
artists, as well as scientists, technology researchers, sociologists,
philosophers, architects, designers, futurists, and other lateral
thinkers, who are engaged with the issues of social and ecological
sustainability, and are interested in a deeper understanding of technology.

Please send your short abstract (ca. 200 words) and bio (ca. 60 words)
to e-mail: <rixc (at) rixc.lv> and / or <rasa (at) rixc.lv> (Rasa Smite)

The DEADLINE for conference abstracts: October 1, 2011

The conference is 2-day international academic event that takes place in
Riga, November 4 - 5, 2011 (at RIXC Media Space), co-organized by RIXC
and MPLab (Art Research Lab) of Liepaja University.
The conference papers and thematically related articles after the
conference will be published in the next issue (No. 11) of Acoustic
Space, peer-reviewed journal for transdisciplinary research on art,
science, technology and society.

* Preliminary programme:

November 3, 2011 – Opening of the Art+Communication festival and the
exhibition.
November 4 – 5, 2011 – 2-day conference.
November 4 – December 11, 2011 – Techno-Ecologies exhibition open for
public.
November 7 – 13, 2011 – follow-up events: iWeek workshops and public
lectures in Liepaja.

* Organisers:

The festival and the exhibition is organized by RIXC, The Center for New
Media Culture
http://rixc.lv

The exhibition is co-curated by Raitis Smits, Rasa Smite and Eric
Kluitenberg.

The international academic conference is organized by RIXC in
collaboration with MPLab (Art Research Lab) of Liepaja University
http://mplab.lv

* Concept:

TECHNO-ECOLOGIES
Inhabiting the deep technological spheres of everyday life

Technology can no longer be understood as an alterity (otherness) that
stands in opposition to biological and social relationships. Going about
our regular practices of everyday living we inhabit complex
technological spheres of life that require a different, a more
'ecological' understanding of our relationship to technology. In analogy
to the 'deep ecology' movement, philosopher David Rottenberg recently
suggested that the notion of 'deep technology' relates user and context
in an ecological, symbiotic way [1]. Similarly, the idea of 'inhabiting'
technological ecologies emphasises our connectedness to our environment
(material, natural, technological) and our dependence on the resources
available in that environment (material, energetic, biological,
cultural). Mastering these conditions, which necessarily transcend the
personal experience, is vital to our survival on this planet.

The concept of technological ecologies as spheres of life invites a more
careful consideration of the relationships between the natural and the
artificial - or even the collapse of the boundaries between them - in
favour of looking at such techno-ecologies as complex assemblages,
comparable to how for instance philosopher Bruno Latour treats them. Our
perspective should, however, not be limited to these technological
'actors'. In The Three Ecologies (1989) Felix Guattari expresses his
worries about the intense techno-scientific transformations the Earth is
undergoing. Guattari observes an ecological disequilibrium generated by
these transformations, which leads to a general reduction of human and
social relationships and the sustainability of the living environment.

According to Guattari it is the relationship between subjectivity and
its exteriority - be it social, animal, vegetable or cosmic - that is
compromised, in a sort of general movement of 'implosion'. He warns
against a merely partial realisation of the severity of these changes
and inadequate responses that may come from a purely technocratic
perspective. It is the ways of living on this planet that are in
question, according to Guattari, in the context of the acceleration of
techno-scientific mutations and exponential demographic growth. Only an
'ethico-political' articulation 'between' the three ecological registers
that he identifies - the environment, social relations, and human
subjectivity - would be able to clarify these questions.

The paradox is that these techno scientific transformations are both the
source of the current ecological disequilibrium, and even so the only
realistic means to address and potentially resolve the problems they
create. Somehow, however, we cannot seem to make them work.

Siegfried Zielinski has pointed out that one important fallacy to
overcome is to view the course of technological development as
'progress', or to consider our current state of technological
sophistication as the best possible and necessary outcome of a
predictable historical trajectory. In his 'Variantology' project
Zielinski makes a radical break with any idea of technological progress
or determinism [2]. The Variantological approach emphasises that at any
point technological development (and human development along with it) is
contingent (it can go anywhere). Variantology does not look for 'master
media' or 'imperative vanishing points'. Instead it seeks out the
moments of greatest possible diversity and individual variation. It
operates in carefully chosen periods of particularly intensive and
necessary work on the media,# across different cultural and physical
geographies - exploring the 'deep time relationships of the arts,
sciences and technologies'.

Finally, an exploration of inhabitable technological ecologies needs to
take into account the phantasmatic dimension of technological
apparatuses and systems. Such a more psychographic understanding of the
depth of technology aims to uncover hidden, or not immediately visible
or discernible psychological layers attached to the technological
apparatuses - perhaps we might refer to this as a 'technological
unconscious' - that underpin human experience and our subjective ties
with technological environments. It considers technology not only as an
extension of the body but also as an extension of our deepest desires.
It explores the void between the 'real' and that what is mediated by
systems of language, media, and technology. It acknowledges the
existence of a 'third body' (Klaus Theweleit) [3] that inserts itself
between us and the (technological) objects. This third body only emerges
in our interaction with these objects, but it is neither held by us nor
by the objects alone.

Beyond questions of finite resources and obvious forms of pollution and
environmental degradation, attempts to develop sustainable relationships
with technology and our living environment should take into account far
more complex layerings of the way we inhabit our current technological
ecologies. Such a deeply informed ethical and philosophical perspective
is indispensable if we hope to find less hazardous routes into the future.

Notes:
1 - www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.10/rothenberg.if.html
2 - http://entropie.digital.udk-berlin.de/wiki/Variantology
3 -
www.debalie.nl/player/balieplayerpopper.jsp?movieid=93125&videofragmentsid=ank2

Eric Kluitenberg, Amsterdam, June 6, 2011

http://rixc.lv/11