[NetBehaviour] [pre-war-blues] Re Honeyboy, from Andy Cohen (fwd)

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Aug 30 03:01:17 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:44:38
From: Mary Katherine Aldin <mkaldin at aol.com>
To: pre-war-blues at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [pre-war-blues] Re Honeyboy, from Andy Cohen

He passed at three this morning, MK. I wrote this for FB, and also the Folk
Alliance listserv:

I am at the bottom of about ten postings of Honeyboys passing, close to
tears. I did not know until this minute that he was gone, but knew that he
had congestive heart failure and gout, not a good combination. Know that he
could still play, until his final hour. I am truly sorry for his family and
for Michael Frank, who managed him and built a genuine career for him, for
almost forty years. Know also that he was the very last, truly 'pre-war'
bluesman, left alive, recorded by Alam Lomax in 1941. So that's the end,
folks. He knew and played with Robert Johnson, and in fact was the one who
reported that he had been poisoned by a jealous husband, and was witth him
as he was on his knees howling like a dog in his final hours. He also knew
and played with Big Joe Williams, Robert Jr Lockwood, Tommy McClennan,
Pinetop Perkins, Mad Dog Lester, Kansas City Red, Aaron Moore, John Dee
Holeman and Fris Holloway, Rev. Dan Smith, Johnny Shines, 'Shaky' Horton,
many members of the Memphis Jug Band, Floyd Jones, Homesick James, Frank
Frost, Sam Carr, Big Jack Johnson, and in fact, most of the people listed in
the Blues Who's Who and the vareious Blues encyclopedias. If you have read
Dave Evans's 'Big Road Blues' and Elijah Wald's 'Escaping the Delta', also
read Honeyboy's 'The World Don't Owe Me Nothing', in which he tells
parallel, personal accounts of most everybody researched in those two books.
Goodbye, Honeyboy. With you gone, the last vestige of the formative period
of blues is now a memory.

Please feel free to post this anywhere you may. It was not unexpected, but
I'm kinda stunned at the moment with the gravity of it all.

Andy

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group
To join our &quot;sister&quot; list, post-war-blues, send an email
post-war-blues-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
er&quot; list, post-war-blues, send an email to
post-war-blues-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest * Unsubscribe * Terms of
Use
.
[stime=1314665091]