[NetBehaviour] How a Library Saved My Life.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Feb 7 19:07:00 CET 2011

Hi Alan,

Thanks for reading the post on the community blog, and also for the very
similar examples you have given and how it has already happened in the
US. There is quite a movement in the UK against these Cuts by those who
know the true nature of why they are really being implimented.

 > You mention Murdoch; given his destruction here and elsewhere, I
think he
 > might be the most dangerous man around.

Everything is up for grabs, and Murdoch and peer corporations are taking
it all. Those who do not care about these very important issues are
likely to be happy in remaining part of what I call the 'consumer
class', although I am interested in seeing how the protests in this
country work out...

Wishing you well.

marc

 > Tried to leave a message on the blog, but ended up with a missed mussed
 > mess of circuitious passwords. I forwarded this to a number of people;
 > there are crises, plural, with libraries here - Queens County for
example,
 > which apparently was voted the best library system in the US by the
 > American Library Association, has had to stop buying books altogether
 > because they've run out of money. Arts, libraries, etc. aren't supported
 > in the US for the most part; you either make a lot of money in the
market,
 > or collapse, or somehow persevere. Libraries are open less and less -
our
 > local one isn't open on the weekends at all for example, which is a huge
 > loss to the community. In some places, the homeless use them for shelter
 > and bathroom - there aren't many places for them to go - and more
 > traditional users stay away. A lot of libraries ironically are becoming
 > nothing more than computer centers for people who need access and
have no
 > other way of getting it. That's all to the good, but the books again
 > suffer as a result. And then libraries are just closing, period; in
Aurora