[NetBehaviour] Seed Drawings

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Feb 9 13:48:08 CET 2011

More Amazon MTurk art:

http://infosthetics.com/archives/2011/02/seed_drawings_visual_emergence_using_mechanical_turk.html

"The project called Seed Drawings is an experiment on visual emergent
algorithms (think Cellular Automata, L-systems, swarming, ant colony
optimization, and the like), but then applied to the online labor
marketplace Amazon Mechanical Turk. Each Seed Drawing is an aggregate of
many smaller drawings, all produced as copies of one another."

I think there's more to say about this kind of project than, as the blog
post above puts it: "Next to some beautiful graphics, the project also
shows how some people really do not like to do like they were told..." .

When I reviewed "The Sheep Market" I found that its stated aims of
ethical inquiry (which I didn't read about before reviewing the project)
came through in the finished work very clearly:

http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=244

But the interaction of machine intelligence and clickworking portrayed
by Seed Drawing does need to be made visible and considered. And there
is such a thing as seed capital...

- Rob.