[NetBehaviour] Urinal: 3D print

Pall Thayer pallthay at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 16:32:02 CET 2011

This is beautiful, Rob. I seem to recall seeing some prior discussion
about this but I haven't read it so I don't know what was discussed.
One of the things I like is how such a project questions the true
authenticity of a very famous work whose authenticity was challenged
by both the "art world" and its very creator. The fact that the
original urinal disappeared and that Duchamp was later commissioned to
make more (I believe there are 8 of them in existence) does just that.
I found it somewhat humorous, a few years ago, when someone attacked
the urinal in the Pompidou, breaking it, and they were concerned about
how much it was going to cost to repair it. Personally, I think they
would have been better off simply keeping it on display in its broken
form (Duchamp may even have preferred this solution as well, i.e. the
broken glass in The Bride Stripped Bare). But now everyone can have
their own urinal and it will be as much of an original as those 8 that
are owned by various museums.