[NetBehaviour] Article about looking for new ways to support creatives in Internet Age

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Sat Feb 19 11:17:46 CET 2011

This article proposes crowd-sourcing financial support for creative work.
This has some positive benefits (spreading responsibility and engagement
that might encourage more people to choose a creative path in life) but the
problem is that it would more likely support popular work at the expense of
the experimental. If the intent is to come up with a model to replace how
the mass and popular media currently generate income then I think it has
some value as a model - but if it is to do that at the expense of supporting
difficult and challenging work (the author argues for scrapping the NEA and
other organisations that do not have to satisfy popular opinion) then it
would spell the end of public support for experimental arts practice.

The idea doesn't get my vote.

Best

Simon