[NetBehaviour] â–“â–“Filtering Failure â–“â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’ â–’â–’ â–’â–’ â–‘ â–‘ â–‘

info info at furtherfield.org
Thu Feb 24 14:10:08 CET 2011

The exhibition Filtering Failure opens Friday the 25th of Februari
(20:00) at PLANETART, Volkskrantgebouw, Wibautstraat 150, Amsterdam.

catalogue:
http://www.slideshare.net/r00s/filtering-failure-exhibition-catalogue

In a culture that is continuously accelerating, filters have become a
primal commodity. We use them both to open and to close ourselves to or
from any kind of possible information. Filters are ubiquitous. However,
we only realize their presence when we lack them or when they fail our
expectations. On the other hand, modern digital cultures are inseparable
from keywords like functionality, smoothness, order and progress.
Interaction designers, programmers and interface developers all work
together to understand and execute these mantras. But to really
understand these keywords, they have to be defined in relation to what
they are not. A successful product designer does not design for the
average customer, but instead for the marginal, extreme customer;
because when taking the margins as the rule, the middle will take care
of itself. ! This is why studying the qualities of disfunction,
irregularities, breaks, disorder, damage or even demolition are as
important in the development of a new technological product as the
researching of its perfect flows and this is also one of the reasons why
I think it is important to study failure. The concepts of perfection and
failure are a tradeoff of each other. If we want to understand and
pursue perfection - we can find this in the pursuit of failure.

The exhibition Filtering Failure investigates (the connections between)
the procedural terms ‘filtering’ and ‘failure’ and how in
(lo-fi) digital arts these terms are being re-invented and re-used. The
exhibition asks how Filtering and Failure co-exist; and how these
processes influence each other.
The exhibition includes new and older works from the avant-garde of
glitch artists. These works show the filtering of failure as a
generative process, but also to unfold a genre that includes many the
different envelopes of personal ways of dealing with failure.

Filering Failure is curated by Julian van Aalderen and Rosa Menkman.

Participating artists:
Paul Davis (US/UK)
Benjamin Gaulon (IR/FR)
Gijs Gieskes (NL)
Jodi (NL/BE)
Karl Klomp (NL)
no-carrier (US)
Notendo (US)
Nullsleep (US)
Jon Satrom (US)
Videogramo (ES)

Filtering failure is an initiative of PLANETART and GOGBOT in
collaboration with Rosa Menkman and Julian van Aalderen