[NetBehaviour] Internet Ideology. REFF Interview Richard Barbrook.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Jun 8 14:29:53 CEST 2011

Internet Ideology. REFF Interview Richard Barbrook.

REFF: Most of the technologies which are arising in these years are
about knowledge and information. Do you think that they are the most
revolutionary technologies of the last centuries? What do you think
about it?

RB: The first thing I would say is that if you look at the last century,
the key technologies are probably antibiotics and the contraceptive
pill. These are actually the most important technologies ever invented.
Also maybe mass transit, as cars and above all airplanes. These are
technologies that really have transformed people’s lives but it’s
interesting that the convergence between computing media and
telecommunications is actually seen as the societal shift in technology.
You have these technologies which maybe are not the most important but,
because they were given this theoretical and ideological role of
bringing on the new society, they are seen as the most important
technology even if we could argue that they’re not....

More...
http://www.imaginaryfutures.net/2011/04/03/internet-ideology/