[NetBehaviour] Fem at le Form at ts

Annie Abrahams bram.org at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 10:56:08 CEST 2012

Copied from the Guardian :
Why are all the blockbuster art shows by men? We're great at celebrating
famous male artists, but what about Bridget Riley, Rachel Whiteread, Sarah
Lucas …

Damien Hirst<http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/apr/02/damien-hirst-retrospective-tate-modern>,
Lucian Freud <http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/freud>, David
Hockney<http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/hockney>... they may be
very different artists but they have something in common,
apart from the fact that all have blockbuster exhibitions this spring. A
certain universality and ambition, an ability to voice the experience of
Everyman ... Wait a moment. Yes, it is Everyman. After all the revolutions
in art over the last couple of centuries, the gender bias is apparently as
deep as ever.

This year – quite apart from the Cultural Olympiad that will foreground
artists like, er, Mr Anish Kapoor and Mr Martin Creed – a crop of big
exhibitions are focusing not so much on the diversity and energy of British
art as on the greats, the big boys ... and boys they are. Women play a big
part in modern British art. But when it comes to awarding the gold, silver
and bronze medals the idea of excellence in art remains as macho as it was
in the days of Michelangelo, Rodin, Rothko. Why is that?

Oddly enough, the only blockbuster British art star of this season who is
not a man is Gillian
Wearing<http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/mar/27/gillian-wearing-whitechapel-gallery-retrospective>,
showing at the Whitechapel Gallery, whose director Iwona Blazwick is also a
woman. Is there a male conspiracy elsewhere? I think it is more that ideas
of greatness in art are so steeped in centuries of sexism that their effect
is as hard to pin down as it is vicious. Women are judged differently.

Rachel Whiteread has earned the right to be seen as an important artist as
much as anyone of her generation but when she competed for the commission
to design the "Angel of the South" at Ebbsfleet no one said she should get
it on that score. Somehow she did not deserve star status, did not deserve
to be taken seriously. A man got the job, and his project turned out to be
impractically expensive.

Whiteread is one of the women who easily deserved one of this year's grand
retrospectives. As it happens she has got a Cultural Olympiad commission
... at Blazwick's Whitechapel Gallery, funnily enough. Bridget Riley wowed
visitors to the National Gallery recently – why not a Tate blockbuster for
this great British modern artist? Then there is Sarah Lucas, a genius among
modern sculptors. Somehow, when it comes to the glittering prizes, women
artists are still being relegated to also-rans.

http://www.bram.org