[NetBehaviour] [webartery] Reflections on the _New Aesthetic_

{ brad brace } bbrace at eskimo.com
Thu Apr 19 02:15:52 CEST 2012

Brad likes this

/:b

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, mez breeze wrote:

> [...]
> isn't indicative of a negative outlook on "the glitch". Nor is it due to
> lack of engagement with the actual material/pulsing creative output that's
> [possibly, hopefully] superseding many flattened contemporary "art scenes"
> [read: institutions as opposed to practices]. My lack of focused attention
> is due to the fact that *i'm_actually_living_the_aesthetic_in_question* +
> have been for years [New? bah!]. The life of a "Phrase That Will Not Be
> Named" advocate *requires* continuous partial attention: it *requires* a
> profound adherence to deriving substantiated [yet seemingly ephemeral]
> meaning from "the now" [ie connective novelty formation, expressive +
> anonymous appropriation devoid of ego/exclusive monetisation, the
> continuous fact of networked/communication immediacy/recursion, a
> burgeoning maker/hacktivist practice-aesthetic, the growing irrelevancy of
> standardised content/institutionalised values + associated comprehension
> set of practices that have been in operation for as long as directed
> digital communication/tech platforms have coalesced = bad whiff, not to
> mention downright offensive. It's the problem of seeking to stuff
> uncategorised, non-art-defined forms into format [+ vice versa], of
> assigning crusty paradigms/terms to output [like Bridle + his tumblr]
> that's being subsumed into a discourse designed to
> pinpoint/catalogue/perpetuate. Drawing a [restrictive labelling] box around
> a set of expression[s] that exist as working practices seems like inverse
> encouragement: this disappointing need to
> contextualise>label>scene-create>institutionalise>monetise = sad[panda
> making. Google "sad panda" if you don't get the reference].
>
> 4. Content curation isn't art. The urge to perform it may be similar to
> what drives artists to produce: in many cases, content curation is a
> ceaseless search for connection through firehosed content streams/"novelty"
> verification that may just ellipse the need for art/culture
> classifications. Is it possible to conceptualise a world where the need to
> frame practice/process/product through cultural or artistic filters is
> largely obsolete? [reddit.com + 4chan.org + 9gag.com + tumblr.com = giving
> it a decent go.]
>
> 5. Appropriating + remixing graphic markers/standards from marginalised or
> "other-fied" disciplines/decades does not a new genre/paradigm make,
> especially when begging to be [or deliberately engineered to be] monetised
> by a system and/or individuals determined to emergent-capture [yes, this
> includes institutionally sanctioned galleries + alternative galleries +
> oldschool curators + newskool aggregators + conference-merry-go-rounders +
> theorists + panels + karma-seeking discourse boffins]. Codify, hipsterise +
> aggrandise at your leisure, but be prepared for watered-down, digestible,
> bastardised versions of worthwhile social + expressive currencies.

=============

PROXY Gallery
http://bit.ly/proxygallery

global islands project:
http://bbrace.net/id.html

"We fill the craters left by the bombs
And once again we sing
And once again we sow
Because life never surrenders."
-- anonymous Vietnamese poem

"Nothing can be said about the sea."
-- Mr Selvam, Akkrapattai, India 2004

"... for every star-driven enterprise there are corollary
benefits for those who support it and keep their mouths shut."
-- John Young, NYC 2010

"Shikata ga nai -- There's nothing we can do about it."
-- Japanese tsunami survivors, 2011

{ brad brace }   <<<<< bbrace at eskimo.com >>>>  ~finger for pgp

---    bbs: brad brace sound                               ---
---    http://69.64.229.114:8000                           ---
---    http://bradbrace.net/undisclosed.html 		   ---

.
The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project       >>>> posted since 1994 <<<<

+ + +         serial           ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/b/bbrace
+ + +      eccentric          ftp://  (your-site-here!)
+ + +     continuous         hotline://artlyin.ftr.va.com.au
+ + +    hypermodern      ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace
+ + +        imagery        http://12hr.noemata.net

News:  alt.binaries.pictures.12hr   alt.binaries.pictures.misc
               alt.binaries.pictures.fine-art.misc    alt.12hr

.  12hr email
subscriptions => http://bradbrace.net/buy-into.html

.  Other  |  Mirror: http://www.eskimo.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
Projects  |  Reverse Solidus: http://bradbrace.net/