[NetBehaviour] Reflections on the _New Aesthetic_

Pall Thayer pallthay at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 02:14:39 CEST 2012

Here's my knee-jerk reaction to a possible knee-jerk reaction. I think
we have this tendency to dislike the word "new" in any label (that's
the other knee-jerk reaction). Having only skimmed Bruce Sterling's
essays as well, I'm always skeptical when it comes to the term "new".
Especially when combined with a term that I personally think is often
misunderstood, like "aesthetic". If you look up "aesthetic" in the
dictionary, it will probably tell you that it has something to do with
"beauty". But in a philosophical context, it really has very little to
do with beauty. It has more to do with tastes and interest. Being
drawn to something regardless of whether a person is drawn due to a
sense of beauty, revulsion or something in-between.

So, let's think about this. "Aesthetic" refers to a "sensibility", so
"New Aesthetic" would mean that we've developed a new sensibility(?).
Is that really the case? Let's take the "glitch". When things don't
perform as they should, is the notion that we might be aesthetically
drawn to that really something new? I don't know about others but I
always find it very curious when something "glitches". It peaks my
curiosity. So, is the "New Aesthetic", as it pertains to the "glitch",
really a "new" aesthetic or does it simply exploit an existing
aesthetic? Art is not something that re-invents itself periodically.
It's more like an evolving being. Nothing is "new" but rather a
progression of the things that came before it. How about "Next
Aesthetic"?

Keep in mind that I'm just entertaining a brain-drain here. Maybe I
should read the Bruce Sterling essays.