[NetBehaviour] Not Now James, We're Busy

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sat Apr 21 17:08:52 CEST 2012

http://robmyers.org/weblog/2012/04/21/not-now-james-were-busy/

This post does not include the phrase "frantic academic clopping".

James Bridle's "Where The F**k Was I?" (2011) is a book containing 202
maps depicting his movements over the previous year. The maps were
produced using OpenStreetMap (2004) to plot the secret location database
that iPhones (2007) had been discovered to be keeping (April 2011). It
is printed as a hardback book using Lulu (2002), although images from it
can be seen on flickr (2004).

In writing about this project, Bridle reflects on the impact of
discovering that he was being spied on and takes this as a leaping off
point for wider and deeper reflection on the nature of memory and of the
mediation of experience by technology. In doing so he discusses
contemporary art, contemporary literature, and contemporary
cybercultural theory.

I would like to make two points about this project.

The first is that it would have been impractical before 2007, and
unnecessary before 2011. I appreciate that in the 1990s JODI were
multi-billion-dollar companies profiting from pervasive digital devices
and logistics that meant the virtual tail of the
military-industrial-fashion complex was wagging the actual dog of
society in ways that were bleeding through into everyday experience, but
I think we all have to admit that they didn't have a Tumblr (2007).

The second is that the project is a serious and literate consideration
of personal experience as shaped by our present situation that uses
aesthetics not due to Theoretic inarticulacy but precisely to
communicate the full impact of its subject effectively.

I am arguing that Bridle's project of The New Aesthetic (TNA) is indeed
considering both the new and the aesthetic, and that both these aspects
of it are critically valuable and cannot be reduced to historical or
textual surrogates.

My favourite responses to TNA so far have been:

David Berry critiquing Object Oriented Philosophical approaches to TNA
and providing three different ways of considering it that come from
within cyberculture -

http://stunlaw.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/what-is-new-aesthetic.html

Saul Albert providing some very useful historical comparisons to net.art -

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1204&L=new-media-curating&F=&S=&P=18212

And Honor Harger pointing out the gap between the straw man of TNA that
many people are attacking and what it actually is -

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1204&L=new-media-curating&F=&S=&P=20818

- Rob.