[NetBehaviour] Cavern Song

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri Aug 10 05:44:01 CEST 2012

Cavern Song

http://www.alansondheim.org/guanzi1.mp3
http://www.alansondheim.org/guanzi2.mp3

The guanzi is a Chinese double-read instrument, ancestor
of the Japanese hichikiri. Mine is in F; I put a hichikiri
read on it and made these two pieces, mixing jazz phrasing
with taksim phenomenology. In post-production I added
studio reverb; this helps connect the phrases, which are
far too dependent on my lungs. So the result is a kind of
cavern song; I think of this as the origins of the epic
before words transformed ikon into index and gesture into
symbol. Maybe the uncanniness of reverberation is a memory
of language's origin.