[NetBehaviour] Give Me My Data! project presentation and mini-seminar

info info at furtherfield.org
Wed Jul 11 12:15:40 CEST 2012

Give Me My Data! project presentation and mini-seminar

live project launch, workshop outcomes and talks on [social]media hacking
27 July @ WORM, Rotterdam

Tonight we launch the new version of "Give Me My Data!", a project that
together with Artists In Residence Tim C. Schwartz and Owen Mundy was
revised and revived in WORM's moddr_lab.

Give Me My Data offers functionality to its users with which they can
retrieve and backup data and files from several key social networks;
partly designed as a backup tool moreover targeted at networks that
completely lack these functions.

Besides launching the project and am in-depth presentation by the
artists, Walter Langelaar of WORM will give an introduction and overview
of similar (art)works and earlier projects that came out of WORMs
studios like the "Web2.0 Suicide Machine".

Further more we'll have presentations of current and ongoing projects
from the lab, like Birgit Bachler's 'online social gardening' platform
"Talk To The Plant", the Force of Freedom (Roel Roscam Abbing and Micha
Prinsen) present "partsba.se", and Geert Lovink talks about the "Unlike
Us" initiative. The last addition to tonights programme is a
presentation by Greenhost.nl on their very excellent RePress project; a
WordPress plugin that automagically converts your site to a proxy-server
countering censorship on the internet!

_
projects & speakers:

_
Unlike Us / Geert Lovink

The aim of Unlike Us is to establish a research network of artists,
designers, scholars, activists and programmers who work on ‘alternatives
in social media’. Through workshops, conferences, online dialogues and
publications, Unlike Us intends to both analyze the economic and
cultural aspects of dominant social media platforms and to propagate the
further development and proliferation of alternative, decentralized
social media software.

Tim C. Schwartz

Tim Schwartz grew up in St. Louis, MO. He received a BA in Physics from
Wesleyan University and an MFA in Visual Arts from the University of
California, San Diego. In January 2010, he developed a technology to
help reunited missing people affected by the earthquake in Haiti and now
co-runs an organization dealing with family reunification. Last year
Schwartz spent four months traveling the country in a mobile research
laboratory investigating what is lost as archives become digital.

Birgit Bachler

Birgit is an Austrian artist living and working in Rotterdam/NL.
She graduated as BA in Information Design / Media & Interactiondesign at
the Universityof Applied Sciences in Graz/AT and is a recent graduate of
the MA Networked Media at Piet Zwart Institute Rotterdam. She has a
background in interactive, audiovisual media and programming.
Her interests focus on the influence of new media on our everyday lives
and the similarities and differences between human and computational
behavior.

RePress / Greenhost.nl

"This plugin was made in response to the ongoing limitation of the Open
Web. In the dawn of 2012 we found ourselves confronted with a
court-ruling blocking the Piratebay.org in the Netherlands. On the other
side of the ocean new laws are being discussed to curtail web-freedom
even further."

We zijn pioneer in groene hosting. We ontwikkelden een innovatief
energiebesparend hostingplatform waardoor we 70% minder energie
gebruiken dan andere hosters. Onze servers staat bij Evoswitch, het
meest duurzame datacenter van Nederland.

Owen Mundy

Owen Mundy is an artist, designer, and programmer who investigates
public space and its relationship to data. His artwork highlights
inconspicuous trends and offers tools to make hackers out of everyday
users. He has an MFA in Visual Art from the University of California,
San Diego and is an Assistant Professor of Art at Florida State University.

partsba.se / Force Of Freedom

At partsba.se you can upload, share and download digital designs for
real physical products. Partsba.se allows you to share designs of any
nature, whether these designs are copyrighted or dangerous. Unlike other
websites partsba.se does not claim any rights of your designs once you
upload them.In the near future partsba.se will run on a fully secure and
anonymous server.

We believe that users should be free to reverse engineer any everyday
objects that surround them. Either to improve these objects, customize
them, repair them or just to understand them.

The Force Of Freedom is a Rotterdam based collective founded by Micha
Prinsen and Roel Roscam Abbing in 2009. Researching ways in which we can
relate to things that happen on-line.

Kaarten

De volgende kaarten zijn beschikbaar:

Normaal
Voorverkoop: € 5.00
Deurverkoop: € 5.00

Locatie
WORM
Boomgaardsstraat 71
3012 XA Rotterdam

--
Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield