[NetBehaviour] Turbulence Commission: "Public Works" by Chris Mann

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Jul 17 12:18:39 CEST 2012

Hi Simon,

Have you tried opera?

Failing this you could contact Jo at Turbulence Jo-Anne Green
<jo at turbulence.org

wishing you well.

marc

> Be great if this could work on another platform - it wont work on the
> Firefox I am able to run (older Macbook pro)
> I am very interested in hearing this...
>
> Simon
> On 17 Jul 2012, at 00:16, Turbulence.org wrote:
>
>> Turbulence Commission: "Public Works" by Chris Mann
>> http://turbulence.org/works/publicworks
>> [Needs Firefox and Speakers/Headphones]
>>
>> Either/Or performed the world premiere of "Public Works" at ISSUE
>> Project Room on June 23, 2012.
>>
>> "For any standard instrumentation (string trio or quartet, wind
>> quintet, whatever) playing standard repertoire. Having chosen a piece
>> from repertoire, each player to play other than their usual
>> instrument (first violin to play cello, for example), and play only
>> those notes they deem necessary (because they give the player an
>> opportunity to change their mind, because they make other notes
>> possible, or for some other reason other than their mere existence).
>> Once started, there should be no attempt to synchronise time."
>>
>> "Public Works" is a 2012 commission of New Radio and Performing Arts,
>> Inc. for its Turbulence website. It was made possible with funds from
>> the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.
>>
>> BIOGRAPHY
>>
>> Chris Mann is an Australian composer based in New York. Working in
>> the unique field of Compositional Linguistics, Mann’s focus is on the
>> technology and philosophy of speech. Since 1989, he has performed
>> with Machine for Making Sense and most recently Chris Mann and the
>> Impediments. He has been Artist in Residence at Harvestworks and RPI.
>> His commissions include: Astra Choir, John Cage, Composers Forum,
>> Paris Autumn Festival, Australian Biennale, Radio France, Ars
>> Electronica, Radio Telefis Eirann, Australian Broadcasting
>> Corporation, National Public Radio, Revue Telematique d’Art
>> Contemporain, Dance Works, Dance Exchange, Lingua, Art et Lectures,
>> Abraxas, Foundation for Contemporary Performance Arts, la revue
>> parlée, V2, Australian Network for Art and Technology, Goethe
>> Institut, Shire of Healesville, Anzart, Christian Television
>> Association, Commission for the Future, International Synergy, ABC
>> Staff Union, Australia Council, Perth Institute for Contemporary Art,
>> Festival de la Batie, Sprach Ton Art, Brisbane Biennial, BBC, Taklos
>> Festival, ORF, Urban Aboriginal, American Society for Cybernetics,
>> bobeobi, Adelaide Festival, Experimenta, Interpretations.
>>

>> "Like" us on Facebook:
>> http://facebook.com/nrpa.org
>> http://facebook.com/turbulence.org
>>
>> Follow us on Twitter:
>> http://twitter.com/turbulenceorg
>>

>> Turbulence.org <http://Turbulence.org>
>> turbulence at turbulence.org <mailto:turbulence at turbulence.org>
>> http://turbulence.org
>> http://new-radio.org

Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield