[NetBehaviour] !Mediengruppe BITNIK – Chess For CCTV Operators

info info at furtherfield.org
Mon Jul 30 13:34:03 CEST 2012

!Mediengruppe BITNIK – Chess For CCTV Operators

“Chess For CCTV Operators” is a performance for which surveilled urban
spaces are the stage. For their urban hack !Mediengruppe BITNIK fitted a
portable suitcase with a video transmitter, an antenna and a chess
computer. Equipped with this suitcase they went, during the three day
intervention in the city, in search of security camera signals to take
over and camera operators to challenge to a game of chess. The take-over
made the surveillance camera image on the operators screen suddenly
disappear showing instead a chess board and the text “Will you play
chess with me? – You are white, I am black”, and stating a telephone
number for communication. Surveillance systems work one-directionally;
they do not fulfil any communicative purpose.

"Very nice performance in subway done by hijacking surveillance camera
signals, do watch. Reminds slightly of the movie Wargames." Jospehine Bosma.

http://chess.bitnik.org/

http://www.toshare.it/?page_id=5211&lang=en