[NetBehaviour] ART+COMMUNICATION 2012: ART OF RESILIENCE

info info at furtherfield.org
Tue Jul 31 12:21:42 CEST 2012

ART+COMMUNICATION 2012: ART OF RESILIENCE
October 4 - November 4, 2012

The 14th edition of the Art+Communication festival with the theme "art
of resilience" will be discussing a sustainaibility from art perspective.

* Theme:

Today art is leaving its autonomous position behind the society's quest
for a sustainable future. Artists who once were in vanguard of exploring
digital frontiers, today again are among the first ones who are actively
engaged in looking for other ways how to make the world more sustainable.
Resilience is one of the key tactics that helps people to undergo
unstable, uncertain times. The idea of a resilience will be used as a
guiding theme and as a point of departure for the festival discussions
with which we aim at fostering deeper understanding of social, cultural
and ecological, as well as technological sustainability issues.

We are questioning: How to enhance resilience - our capability to cope
with today's complex situation that has occurred in the result of rapid
'techno-sciences' development? Does art play a role of a 'catalyst' in
this quest for sustainability, if it keeps actively establishing new
connections with other fields - science and technology, architecture and
design, rural infrastructure development and urban planning, social
networking and global engineering? How these emergent art practices that
are bridging not only different fields but also exploiting resilience
experiences from different times and different cultures, are
contributing towards developing a successful scenario for the future world?

* Programme:

The main festival programme will take place in Riga, Latvia, October 4 -
6, 2012, including international art, science and technology conference
"Art of Resilience" with visionary thinkers, artists and scientists from
different countries of the Europe and the world. The festival will also
feature unique programme of audiovisual performances, electronic music
concerts and experimental film and video programmes in Spikeri Concert
Hall. The exhibition this year will take place in RIXC Media Space, open
from October 4 until November 4.
In parallel to the main festival programme, series of "art of
resilience" workshops in Riga and Liepaja will be organised by RIXC and
MPLab (Art Research Lab) of Liepaja University, that will result into
annual International New Media Art Week "iWeek" held in Liepaja, from
October 26 - November 3, 2012.
* * *

CALL FOR PROPOSALS:

We welcome participants with different background and from different
fields - art, science, technology, sociology, architecture, music,
design, network activism etc. - to submit proposals for the conference.
We also invite artists and electronic musicians to propose their work
and ideas for other festival events - performances, workshops, video
programme.
DEADLINE: AUGUST 25, 2012
Notification - September 3, 2012

Please send your proposals - conference abstracts (about 200 words) as
well as descriptions of proposed workshop or artwork (performance,
video) along with your short biography to: rixc at rixc.lv and/or
rasa at rixc.lv (Rasa Smite)

* * *

The "Art of Resilience" conference will be organised in the framework of
the European partnership project "Survival Kit" in collaboration with
MPLab (Art Research Lab) of Liepaja University and Latvian Contemporary
Arts Center.

Find out more about previous "Art+Communication" festival editions:
"Techno-Ecologies" in 2011 (and all the other ones starting 1996) here:
http://www.rixc.lv/info/festival.html

Festival organiser: RIXC.lv

Support: State Cultural Capital Foundation, Nordic Culture Point, Riga
City Council, EU Culture 2007-2013

Contact: festival curators - Rasa Smite rasa at rixc.lv, and Raitis Smits
raitis at rixc.lv