[NetBehaviour] Adieu Chris Marker

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Jul 31 12:45:57 CEST 2012

Hi Fung-Lin,

Just found 'Sans Soleil' (1983) directed by Chris Marker - on Youtube -
saw it originally a while back now. It seems even better now :-)

"The title is from the song cycle Sunless by Modest Mussorgsky. Sans
Soleil is a meditation on the nature of human memory, showing the
inability to recall the context and nuances of memory and how, as a
result, the perception of personal and global histories are affected.

Stretching the genre of documentary, this experimental essay-film is a
composition of thoughts, images and scenes, mainly from Japan and
Guinea-Bissau, "two extreme poles of survival". Some other scenes were
filmed in Iceland, Paris, and San Francisco. A female narrator reads
from letters supposedly sent to her by the (fictitious) cameraman Sandor
Krasna.

Sans Soleil is often labeled as a documentary, travelogue, or
essay-film. Despite the film's modest use of fictional content, it
should not be confused as a mock-documentary; the fictitious content
works as a device to assist meaning in the film which, along with its
occasionally nondescript movement among locations and lack of
character-based narrative, is derived from the juxtaposition of
narrative and image."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4_YKpMQLc&feature=share

wishing you well.

marc

> Adieu Chris Marker. He was 92 years old.
> http://www.mutanteggplant.com/vitro-nasu/2012/07/30/adieu-chris-marker/ <http://www.mutanteggplant.com/vitro-nasu/2012/07/30/adieu-chris-marker/>
> " Marker’s creative use of sound, images and text in his poetic,
> political and philosophical documentaries made him one of the most
> inventive of film-makers.
> Marker’s interests lay in transitional societies – “life in the
> process of becoming history,” as he put it. How do various cultures
> perceive and sustain themselves and each other in the increasingly
> intermingled modern world?"
>
> Recently I saw a documentary by Chris Marker on Akira Kurosawa Making
> of "Ran" .. It was excellent.. now you can it on youtube.
>
> Fung Lin

Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield