[NetBehaviour] La Ronde | A circular conversation on identity | Saturday 12th May

info info at furtherfield.org
Fri May 4 13:00:29 CEST 2012

La Ronde | A circular conversation on identity | Saturday 12 Many 2pm.

Through history, notions of identity have continuously shifted as the
constituents have been discussed, affirmed and re-negotiated. In recent
years, our ideas of identity appear to have become ever more complex and
increasingly unstable. Changing patterns of migration, the legacy of
colonisation, technological and scientific developments and gender
issues, amongst other things, have all impacted upon our construction of
the self.

Inspired by the structure of Arthur Schnitzler's play of 1897, La Ronde,
the roundtable will consist of a circular series of one-on-one exchanges:

Eva and Franco Mattes > Melissa Gronlund

Melissa Gronlund > John Akomfrah

John Akomfrah > Bidisha

Bidisha > Alex Warwick

Alex Warwick > Morgan Quaintance

Morgan Quaintance > Heath Bunting

Heath Bunting > Eva and Franco Mattes

Each conversation will begin with a question that includes the word
'identity'. The answer may take the form of a conversation, a film
screening, a lecture, a slide show… Twenty minutes will be allotted to
each pairing, with an extra ten minutes for audience questions.

La Ronde coincides with our current exhibition - Eva and Franco Mattes'
Anonymous, untitled, dimensions variable. By infiltrating systems of
information and distribution, such as mass media and the Net, the Mattes
defy notions of safety and privacy, presenting the viewer with a
disturbing reflection of self and society, emphasizing the multiplicity
of personalities that construct one's identity.

Saturday 12 May 2 - 6 pm
Doors open at 1:30pm

Refreshments provided during breaks
£5, booking essential as places are limited

carrollfletcher.eventbrite.co.uk

William Penn Suite, Friends House
173 Euston Road
London, NW1 2BJ

--
Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield