[NetBehaviour] R.I.P Andy Cameron.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue May 29 15:15:36 CEST 2012

An influence by Andy Cameron to myself was a mid 90s text...

THE CALIFORNIAN IDEOLOGY | by Richard Barbrook and Andy Cameron (August
1995)

"
At the end of the twentieth century, the long predicted convergence of
the media, computing and telecommunications into hypermedia is finally
happening. [2] Once again, capitalism's relentless drive to diversify
and intensify the creative powers of human labour is on the verge of
qualitatively transforming the way in which we work, play and live
together. By integrating different technologies around common protocols,
something is being created which is more than the sum of its parts. When
the ability to produce and receive unlimited amounts of information in
any form is combined with the reach of the global telephone networks,
existing forms of work and leisure can be fundamentally transformed. New
industries will be born and current stock market favourites will swept
away. At such moments of profound social change, anyone who can offer a
simple explanation of what is happening will be listened to with great
interest. At this crucial juncture, a loose alliance of writers,
hackers, capitalists and artists from the West Coast of the USA have
succeeded in defining a heterogeneous orthodoxy for the coming
information age: the Californian Ideology."

http://www.alamut.com/subj/ideologies/pessimism/califIdeo_I.html#

wishing all well.

marc

--
Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield