[NetBehaviour] Mark Dery Lecture Monday, June 4, at Calit2

Trish Stone tstone at ucsd.edu
Thu May 31 01:05:41 CEST 2012

Press Release from gallery at calit2

*Mark Dery Lecture
Monday, June 4, 2012*
5:30pm-6:30pm Calit2 Auditorium, Atkinson Hall
6:30pm-8:00pm Reception, gallery at calit2

White supremacists stockpiling heavy weaponry for the "zombie apocalypse"
they believe is just around the bend; random acts of senseless violence
like Jared Lee Loughner's 2011 assault on Representative Gabrielle Giffords
and a crowd of constituents; the viral rumors and conspiracy theories that
spread, like some postmodern pandemic, through social media and forwarded
mails; our national love affair with guns, our religious fundamentalism,
our fear-stricken willingness to sacrifice our freedoms to the War on
Terror, the utopian promise of our Democratic Experiment  corrupted by
corporate influence and fractured by class war and ideological lunacies: in
contemporary America, chaos is the new normal.

In his multimedia lecture "American Dread, American Dreams," cultural
critic and cult author Mark Dery makes sense of the American madhouse,
early in the 21st century. Using pop culture as his prism, Dery considers
the zombie craze, our obsession with toy guns and movie violence, our
frontier religiosity, and our homophobic machismo to refract the deeper
meanings of who we are, as a nation, and how we got here.

Mark Dery is a cultural critic. His writings on media, technology, pop
culture, and American society have appeared in Artforum, Cabinet, Elle, The
New Yorker, The New York Times Magazine, Rolling Stone, Salon, Spin, and
Wired, among others. He lectures frequently in the States and abroad.
Dery’s books include The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American Culture on the
Brink and Escape Velocity: Cyberculture at the End of the Century, which
has been translated into eight languages. He edited the scholarly anthology
Flame Wars: The Discourse of Cyberculture and wrote the monograph Culture
Jamming: Hacking, Slashing, and Sniping in the Empire of Signs. His latest
book is the essay collection I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts. He is writing a
biography of the artist Edward Gorey for Little, Brown.

All gallery events are FREE and open to the public.
Please RSVP to Trish Stone, tstone at ucsd.edu
Media Contact Doug Ramsey, dramsey at ucsd.edu

http://gallery.calit2.net

--