[NetBehaviour] Not for Human Consumption - Launch with Semiconductor, Valentina Vuksic - 15th Nov 2012

finetuned julian at finetuned.org
Fri Nov 9 12:36:35 CET 2012

Not for Human Consumption
Friday 16th November 2012
online at http://nfhc.crisap.org

Exhibition Launch
Thursday 15th November 2012
Cafe Oto, London, UK with
Semiconductor (UK) / Valentina Vuksic (CH/NL) / Graham Harman (USA)
(launch details below)

CRiSAP (Creative Research into Sound Art Practice) is excited to announce Not for Human Consumption; an online exhibition curated by Julian Weaver.

>From the inaudible to the barely registered, the overheard to the impossibly loud, Not for Human Consumption presents a collection of sonic phenomena, tests, by-products and compositions that challenge our, self-given, position at the centre of sonic events.

We live in continuous contact with noise yet the range of sounds we register is minuscule in proportion to those occurring in the world and further afield.

Not for Human Consumption draws together scientific projects and artistic works – including mosquitoes, brain stems, train motors, black holes, hard drives, voibots and electron microphones  - that point to sound worlds where objects other than ourselves may be the recipients.

Contributors include: Martin V. Gustafsson, Paulo V. Santos, Göran Johansson and Per Delsing, Eduardo Reck Miranda, R. W. Mankin & J. Benshemesh, Alexander G. Kosovichev, Semiconductor, Prof. Nina Kraus, NASA, Valentina Vuksic, Team Corporation , R. Michael Winters, Christian Dayé and Alberto De Campo, Richard Airlie and Ian Morrison, A.C. Fabian, J.S. Sanders, S.W. Allen, C.S. Crawford, K. Iwasawa, R.M. Johnstone, R.W. Schmidt and G.B. Taylor

Curated by Julian Weaver, Not for Human Consumption is the fourth in a series of web exhibitions commissioned by CRiSAP (Creative Research into Sound Art Practice).

For further information and/or images please contact info at nfhc.crisap.org

Exhibition Launch
Cafe Oto
Thursday 15th November
www.cafeoto.co.uk
Tickets £7/4 adv. £10 on the door
www.wegottickets.com/event/186953

The exhibition launches at Cafe Oto on Thursday 15th November with live performances by
Semiconductor (UK)
Valentina Vuksic (CH/NL)
and a newly commissioned text by Graham Harman

Semiconductor premiere a new sound work that aggregates seismic data on a global scale.

Semiconductor is artist duo Ruth Jarman and Joe Gerhardt. Through moving image works they explore the material nature of our world and how we experience it, questioning our place in the physical universe. Their unique approach has won them many awards and prestigious fellowships such as the Gulbenkian Galapagos, Smithsonian Artists Research and the NASA Space Sciences. Their work is part of several international public collections and has been exhibited globally including Venice Bienniale, The Royal Academy, Hirshhorn Museum, BBC, ICA and the Exploratorium.

Valentina Vuksic will perform a new version of 'Tripping through Runtime'; a real time exploration of acoustic spaces between computer hardware and software.

Valentina Vuksic is a computer artist and programmer based in Zürich. Her work is a personal exploration of the possibilities afforded by articulated hard- and software mediation. She approaches computer systems via inductive microphones for magnetic fields, so-called “telephone adapters." With choreographies for software and computer elements, she utilizes these as actors in software/noise pieces for, and in, computers.

Limited edition print of a specially commissioned text by Graham Harman.

Graham Harman is Associate Provost for Research Administration and Professor of Philosophy at the American University in Cairo. He is the author of ten books, most recently Weird Realism: Lovecraft and Philosophy (2012), The Quadruple Object (2011) and Quentin Meillassoux: Philosophy in the Making (2011). He is the editor of the Speculative Realism book series at Edinburgh University Press, and (with Bruno Latour) co-editor of the New Metaphysics book series at Open Humanities Press.

For further information and/or images please contact info at nfhc.crisap.org