[NetBehaviour] museum of shops

Tom Keene tom at theanthillsocial.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 19:40:10 CET 2012

My head has been out of the loop for a couple of weeks so am just
catching up with my favourite mailing lists. This post caught my
attention, and like you both this quote caught my attention, but
perhaps for a different reason.

"To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?"

I live near Brixton where the empty shops network have been a catalyst
for the ongoing and at times saddening developments of the market,
where the trendy boutique shops and eateries seem to be expanding
across the whole of the market to the detriment of the of the market
as a whole. I can see Brixton market rapidly loosing its core identity
as it starts to abandon those on low incomes or those that don't fit a
particular social makeup.

As a local resident pointed out to a friend of mine - regeneration is
easy if you are not the one being regenerated. While I agree with the
sentiment that mass commercial enterprise is dominating the high
street and that these organisations need to be held to account, I also
wonder who is holding the trendy regenerators and well meaning artists
to account? I pose this question at myself as much as anyone else.

Organisations and individuals who are able to be agile, take risks and
leave at a moments notice have no commitment to an area. However well
intentioned, it needs to be remembered that the repercussions of these
activities, where local communities become the subject of social
experimentation, can have major repercussions which can be be both
positive and negative in nature. Many people simply do not have the
option to perform this kind of experimentation, their livelihoods are
simply too fragile.

Tom