[NetBehaviour] colour to sound

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Mon Sep 17 17:31:07 CEST 2012

There's a whole argument that can be had here as to how you might convert colour to sound, or vice a versa. As phenomena they are not linked by physic,  their bandwidth and structure are of different ilk's (they have no spectral relationship). Any conversion system you come up with is therefore subjective and arbitrary. You could use amplitude to map to brightness but how do you account for harmonics? There are no harmonics in colour. If you can't deal with harmonics then the conversion of pitch cannot be resolved except for sine waves. It's a can of worms. You have to get your worms straight before you start to consider your mapping system and then the sort of software you need. It's not a simple question of 1:1.

best

Simon

On 17 Sep 2012, at 16:12, dave miller wrote:

> hi simon
> I could think of a way of doing it using php, but depends what
> technology you're using
> dave
>
> On 17 September 2012 14:52, Simon Mclennan <mitjafashion at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Yo netbehavours,
>> Does anybody know any dinky software programmes that convert colour
>> to pitch - open source, shareware or otherwise.
>> I could figure out a way to do it analogue (I'm not a programmer),
>> using a ruler, some leaves and a tuning fork.
>> For the Festival of Brown in Brighton this week.
>>
>> By the way let's not forget THEZONE experimental film nights - coming
>> up during CINECITY in November. Programme to follow.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Simon

> Portfolio: http://davemiller.org
> Blog: http://davemiller.org/art_blog/
> Research: http://augmentedwonder.blogspot.co.uk/

Simon Biggs
simon at littlepig.org.uk http://www.littlepig.org.uk/ @SimonBiggsUK skype: simonbiggsuk

s.biggs at ed.ac.uk Edinburgh College of Art, University of Edinburgh
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/  http://www.elmcip.net/  http://www.movingtargets.org.uk/
MSc by Research in Interdisciplinary Creative Practices
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=656&cw_xml=details.php