[NetBehaviour] bowed and plucked saz cumbus and more hospital news

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Aug 8 22:45:47 CEST 2013

bowed and plucked saz cumbus and more hospital news

http://lounge.espdisk.com/archives/1184 (best)
http://espdisk.com/alansondheim/sazcumbus1.mp3

don't have the equalization on this correct, but you can hear
the amazing variety of bowed/ fingered sounds that are possible
from the instrument. the frets end part-ways up, so it's
easy to play glissandos in the upper register. (will try to
fix the equalization later tonight - )

Today we found out our medical clinic and personal doctor (there
are only two doctors there) is also being shut down by SUNY
Downstate, which is closing the LICH hospital. They have two
weeks to "vacate" and have no idea where to go. I can get my
medical records from SUNY - at a cost of .75/page. Yesterday we
went to the hospital itself, were again escorted by a guard to
our doctor; the guard seemed to think he was doing us an
enormous favor, even though he went to the wrong floor. And now
more elevators say "out of order" and the place is left
deliberately dirty. Going to LICH is like going to a so-called
third world country (which itself is an outdated stereotype) -
it's the rule of force there, more guards than nurses and
doctors, and as much interference as possible with what used to
be normal operations. We heard more horror stories from the
doctor we saw (not the neurologist). It's hard to get follow-up
treatment since everyone's confused about their future. In short
to a large extent our medical care is on hold (when we need it
the most) and doctors, staff, and patients are all on edge. All
this so that more condos can be built for the rich!