[NetBehaviour] NYT: (Copyright) “Is Google like Gas or Like Steel?” Neither, it is like Nernst’s Third Law of Thermodynamics (or the Nicene Creed…

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 03:35:20 CET 2013

From: Dave Farber [mailto:dave at farber.net]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 5:35 AM
To: ip
Subject: [IP] Google’s Lawyers Work Behind the Scenes to Carry the Day - NYTimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/05/opinion/is-google-like-gas-or-like-steel.html?_r=0

I've blogged about this:

I’m wondering though whether the issue concerning Google is rather misplaced when included under matters concerning free speech/free expression.  Whether a search algorithm propelling a robotic process of information selection would be covered by free speech “rights” is something for legal scholars to ponder at their leisure.

I’m wondering rather whether the appropriate rights/freedoms venue under which to assess Google’s activities might not more appropriately fall under “freedom of thought” rather than “freedom of speech” i.e. that it concerns the way we know things or our capacity to know certain things (and not have the means to know (or believe) other things).

http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2013/01/05/is-google-like-gas-or-like-steel-neither-it-is-like-nernsts-third-law-of-thermodynamics-or-the-nicene-creed/

http://wp.me/pJQl5-ab