[NetBehaviour] Georgio Morandi: Lines of Poetry.

netbehaviour netbehaviour at furtherfield.org
Wed Jan 23 11:57:26 CET 2013

Georgio Morandi: Lines of Poetry.

by Robert Jackson.

"There is a new exhibition on Georgio Morandi at the Estorick
Collection, London, called Lines of Poetry. I’ve heard that they’ve
brought together quite a few drawings and watercolours not previously
seen in the UK – and more excitingly it collects all of the most
important graphic work he did, including drawings there weren’t
characteristically still-life.

I was never really interested in Morandi’s work, until I saw a
conference lecture given by one of my tutors – John Chilver – on Morandi
and Heidegger’s ‘The Thing”. I was about 22 I think, and I certainly
wasn’t in the capacity to absorb anything about Heidegger at that point
(it was published somewhere I believe), but I remember the oddness and
intensity of the works. Now of course, I see clear and obvious links
between Morandi’s strange, haunting grasp of still-life objects forever
ungraspable and Heidegger’s own musings about the withdrawn,
self-supporting jug."

http://robertjackson.info/index/2013/01/georgio-morandi-lines-of-poetry/

Robert Jackson is also a writer/reviewer on Furtherfield.
His recent article is 'Algorithms and Control'
http://www.furtherfield.org/features/algorithms-and-control